Updated: October 29, 2021 by Exotic Irfan
Nowadays, technology is an essential part of our lives, but all this might not have happened without our efforts. The profession of a computer engineer is very popular in our reality. Technological progress completely surrounds our life. Sometimes we do not think that everything is a painstaking work of engineers, and without them, it could not function fully. But few people know what the people of this profession are doing. To begin with, it is worth explaining what computer engineering is and what it studies. We asked assignment experts from CWAssignments to share their knowledge and experience in it.
The booming field of computer engineering offers unique opportunities to change the world for the better by creating computer hardware and software that can be found in everything from cars to video games to life-saving medical equipment.
Computer engineering combines computer science and electronic engineering. This area of engineering is built not only on the very operation of computer systems but also on their integration.
Computer engineering exists at the intersection of technology and innovation. As a dynamic professional field, it offers a variety of career opportunities in both hardware (such as microprocessors) and software development, each of which contributes to computing advancements in industries ranging from aerospace. Computer engineers individually adapt systems to the respective production conditions or organizational structures of companies.
Computer engineers deal with many aspects of computing, from designing individual microprocessors, computers, and supercomputers to circular design. Computer engineers are able to:
- design computer systems and networks, develop mathematical models of their work using applied software packages (MatLab, Simulink)
- develop application software (Visual Studio, Atmel Studio, Arduino IDE)
- create 3D models (SolidWorks), make prototypes on 3D printers;
- design special mechanisms and their specific parts using AutoCad packages (CAD – computer-aided design and drawing system), SolidWorks, PTC Creo (Pro / ENGINEER), ANSYS (CAD, CAE- computer-aided design, engineering analysis systems), CAMWorks (CAM – system preparation of production, programming of CNC machines for parts of any complexity and purpose);
- create professionally-oriented databases, use information technology to solve experimental and practical problems in the field of professional activity;
- own modern methods of organizing a full cycle of development, implementation, operation, and maintenance of computer systems and networks.
- network and systems administrator;
- computer systems operation specialist;
- software developer for computer tools, systems, and complexes;
- specialist in the maintenance of specialized computer systems and networks.
Computer engineers find jobs, for example:
- in companies that manufacture, maintain, and distribute computer systems and automation systems;
- in companies in the electrical industry or mechanical and automotive technology.
Famous computer engineers
- Radia Perlman
- Ellen Ochoa
- Sundar Pichai
- Markus Persson
- Jeff Bezos
- Jack Dorsey
- Garrett Camp
Computer engineering books are often textbooks and are usually written to help someone gain a new understanding of various aspects of computer engineering.
- Introduction to Algorithms
- The Beginner’s Guide to Engineering: Computer Engineering
- Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software Computer Networking: A Top-Down Approach
- The Elements of Computing Systems: Building a Modern Computer from First Principles
- Digital Design and Computer Architecture
Can you imagine a world without your smartphone? What about your laptop, Fitbit, or video games? The use of this device has become a part of our daily life. Our need for the latest devices and technologies is constantly growing. But computer engineers aren’t just a way to kill time. Computer engineers interested in security and data protection, data management tools for those interested in embedded military devices or supercomputers that use military simulators.
There are also many health care use cases, including computed tomography, wearable devices, and robotics. Engineering is very charitable work. It’s all about creating value for others. Be it civil engineering, architecture, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, computing – they are all aimed at creating something of value for other people. Entrepreneurs are people who see value. But in order to bring it into shape and form, they need an engineer.
Computer science, on the other hand, is about expanding the boundaries of the subject. They are not really about creating value for others, but about innovation in this area. As an analogy, computer scientists are more like people building a room, while computer engineers are the cleaners and housekeepers who maintain it. If I am not there, the room will soon become dilapidated and unusable.
As the computer evolved not only into a machine that could only be used for mathematical calculations but also for many other purposes, the field of computer science gained its popularity. Twenty years later (around the 1950s), the first-ever degree in computer science was established. But ten years later, the community began to understand the values of a workforce that could understand how computers worked and how they were integrated, and the field of computer engineering subsequently emerged. As a result, the first degree in Computer Engineering was established in the early 1970s. Both programs require a very good knowledge of mathematics.
The importance of these two disciplines is quite high. The world you see today is controlled by computers. Computer engineers are more important in society today than any other engineer because every other engineering discipline depends on computers.
The main difference between “computer engineering” and “computer science” is that “engineering” deals with internal, in relation to the computer, problems (ie, how computers and computer systems work and work). “Science” deals with the problems of using computers to create IT and/or solve problems in certain subject areas. Therefore, if you love a computer, want to receive a high salary while working at home or in an office, if you are interested in developing or maintaining computer systems and networks, choose the specialty of computer engineering with confidence.